Monday, December 30, 2013

2 weeks

This morning, I was well enough to stand long enough to cook a nice breakfast.  Brian would have done it for me, but it was nice to feel healthy enough to do it on my own.  Later, I walked a kilometer, which was a milestone for me.  It's so nice to have positive signs of recovery.

We drove Silas to Nahant to see the ocean for the first time.  He slept in his carseat and then slept in the Boba wrap while we took a very brief walk on the beach (in fact, he has slept soundly every time we have ever put him in the Boba wrap), so he didn't exactly SEE the ocean, but we were glad we were brave enough to take him out.  As soon as I'm stronger, we'll take him to parks, and cafes and museums, I hope - those days are coming soon.

Through the haze of sleep deprivation, physical trauma and hormonal shifts, one of the greatest joys of these early weeks has been seeing Brian become a father.  I have been hopelessly grateful for his patience, his constant reassurance, his willingness to learn and master every new skill, his whimsy and creativity in playing with Silas, his expert housekeeping, his good humor, and so many more things.  It hasn't been easy for me to feel very competent as a mother, just yet - hopefully that will come - but it is so comforting to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I chose the right man to be the father for my brand new son, and to know that I'm not alone.


2 comments:

  1. Patience, whimsy, creativity, good humor, all of these sound like my wonderful son. Expert housekeeping? :) Love, Marsha

    ReplyDelete

Silas at 3: the end of infancy and toddlerhood

Stats: 36.5 inches, 30 pounds.  Rather on the short side; guess my genes kicked in. "In conclusion, age three is a land of contrasts....