Thursday, September 19, 2013

29.5 weeks

Weight gain?: 22 pounds
Maternity clothes: I bought 2 long-sleeve shirts and a sweater.  My wardrobe is still pretty limited.  Only one of my pre-pregnancy long-sleeve shirts still fits, and none of my sweaters did.
Sleep: Still having extraordinarily strange, vivid dreams.  Sometimes they are straight-up horror movies, creepy and terrifying; some are realistic and heartbreaking; others are just plain weird.  Sure, it’s a bit hard to turn over and I get a bit uncomfortable, but I haven’t had insomnia and I’m basically sleeping just fine.  I’ve never had to get up more than once to pee.  However, I am pretty fatigued.  8 hours of sleep per night is ok but not great.  Yesterday, after about 8-10 days straight of sleeping 7-8 hours per night, with very very busy days in between, I lay down for a “short nap” and woke up 3 hours later in exactly the same position, feeling like I’d been drugged.  I hope all this sleeping is good for the baby because sometimes it’s just unavoidable.
Embarrassing pregnant moment: Nothing too bad.  I’ve bumped my belly in to a few people on the bus because I have such a poor sense of how far it sticks out, but bumping in to people on buses isn’t all that unusual.
Any baby purchases this week?: Not exactly, because we won’t buy anything until after the baby shower my sister has generously decided to put on, but we’ve begun “stockpiling” things in preparation.  We want to make it easy to be relaxed hermits after the baby arrives, so we have month-long stores of toilet paper, paper towels, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, dishwasher tabs, laundry detergent, and so on.  We’re also stocking up on some of our favorite snacks, purchased in bulk.  I’ve finished organizing all of our closet space, making sure to leave room for baby items.  
Any movement yet?: All the time!  Most of the time there is one extremity or another poking out.  Brian can play “Poke and Kick” with the baby now - he pokes, baby kicks back.  
Food cravings: None really.  Can’t eat large meals any more.  I haven’t really wanted or eaten junk food (candy, ice cream, etc.) my entire pregnancy, although fruit with whipped cream is very appealing.  (Actually, there’s an exception to this:  sour fruit gummies.  I *love* sour fruit gummies and they always make me feel better if I’m feeling off.)  I’ve made home-made oatmeal cookies several times and really enjoyed them.  My weakness is, as ever, potatoes in any form.
Food Aversions: Garlic, still.  
How are you feeling?: Still pretty good.  If I exert myself too much - which in my case pretty much means too much bending and lifting - my hips are really very sore and stiff.  This does limit the ways in which I can be active, but it by no means I have to be sidelined.  I don’t have any back pain at all, which is fortunate, and I feel good when swimming and walking, even for extended periods.  I am fatigued, but I’m able to get through my days without too much struggle.  I get bursts of energy and I’ve been quite organized and productive.  I keep reminding myself that it will only get harder to accomplish my work as the days go by.
What are you looking forwards to?: I’m looking forward to the baby party in about 3 weeks, and starting to prepare our apartment for the baby.  I’m visiting my parents this weekend - definitely my last trip to VT before the baby arrives.  And next weekend, we are going to Brightwater!  We’ll essentially be camping - our cabin is closed for the winter, so while I’ll be able to sleep on a bed there will be no plumbing/water/etc.  Is this insane at ~31 weeks pregnant, in late September in Maine?  Who knows, but I really want to give it a try.
Are you ready for baby?: I’ve started to feel the very first twinges of “OK, let’s just hurry this up and get to the end”! 
What is your favorite thing about being pregnant?:  Trying to guess what the baby is doing in there!
How far along: 29 weeks, 3 days.
Baby in veggie/fruit terms: ”Large cabbage”.  About 15.5 inches and 3 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silas at 3: the end of infancy and toddlerhood

Stats: 36.5 inches, 30 pounds.  Rather on the short side; guess my genes kicked in. "In conclusion, age three is a land of contrasts....